17 March, 2017

XRDP on Ubuntu-mate 16.04 on my Odroid C1

Im writing this mostly for future reference. I upgraded my odroids OS to Ubuntu-Mate 16.04. On the old one (lubuntu 14.04) i had xrdp configured, but kinda forgot how to use it. I couldn't get it to work, it would just not connect to the desktop sessions, or just disconnect me. So i figured that it might work better on the new OS.. well kinda. I installed it via "apt-get install xrdp" and was able to connect to it via RDP and also login using sesmanXVnc (sesmanX11Vnc always disconnected me for some unknown reason, but the normal one works fine too). Now the problems start...

After restarting, i couldnt reach the odroid. It doesnt connect to wifi without me being logged in locally =/ great. off to the internet! I eventually found a solution that worked for me. (i dont know if this step is necessary, but i didnt want to take any risks) I opened System>Preferences>Internet and Network>Network Connections, selected my wifi and clicked Edit. Then (after authenticating that) i went to the General Tab and enabled "All users may connect to this network".

The Step that probably fixed it was then to get the id of the wifi interface via ifconfig (which resulted in some rather long string, so i will abbreviate it with "enx"). then add a line to /etc/network/interfaces (just open it with nano). The line:

auto enx

this seems to tell linux to automatically enable this interface before loggin in.

Now i can just switch on the odroid without logging in, and it will connect to wifi, so i can then connect via RDP. Next issue: Connecting via sesman now fails, as the desktop server doesnt seem to run. Solution: just try connecting a second time. Yup the second time connecting with sesman suddenly works, while the first time will throw an error.

The linux environment still has a lot of shit to catch up on till i can call it an adequate desktop OS. No matter what you want to do with it, it always involves mysterious textfiles without any common structure that are all in random places. This is why windows has the registry. so you at least have one place with fixed datatypes for this shit. srsly linux get your shit together! ...o i guess you never will cause some neckbeards choke their snakes to their superiority while they waste years of their life just getting their system to work. I already have hobbies that eat my time. i dont need my workstation to eat even more of it

No comments:

Post a Comment